Ten observations from the El Clasico.
Scoreline: FCB 5-1 White Jersey team
- Six goals made in South America give a Guardiolaesque scoreline but men of the match are Spain’s discarded wing backs – Jordi Alba & Sergi Roberto.
2. Before RMA board has views on Julen Lopetegui’s future, let’s not forget the RMA board and Julen were responsible for Spain’s flop World Cup 2018 campaign. That team was one of the favourites, unbeaten for two years and didn’t lose a game in World Cup 2018 in playing time either.
3. Ernesto Valverde is the real boss. Makes Rafinha play Messi’s free role, gets substitutions spot on, enjoyed Vidal’s mohawk hairstyle head in a goal and gets FC Barcelona comfortably placed atop all competitions. La Liga 2018-19 title seems 50% sewn up.
4. First ten mins was all Alba Alba Alba .. Coutinho 1-0.
5. 28th min Alba pass.. first time VAR.. El Pistolero 2-0.
6. VAR will help teams like Barcelona, ManCity, Liverpool and Real Madrid who play free flowing attacking football. Just like the World Cup, refereeing controversies (and junk talk like Barca or Real Madrid benefit from referees) will shut forever.
7. Ramos & Marcelo led the fightback and 50th to 65th min went like this.. goal RMA.. hit post RMA.. hit post FCB.. then goal misses at both ends! Alba, Roberto, Bale, Kroos, Benzema heavily involved.
8. 75th min was all about Dembele pace to (brilliant on the night) Roberto to bullet header from Suarez. Game over. 3-1.
9. EPL mother-in-law fans were watching El Clasico closely only to gather notes to bitch about son Liverpool’s dominating wife Sergio Ramos. They rejoiced on the 82nd min. Brilliant Roberto bypasses Ramos to assist Suarez to a hat trick performance.
10. For people who make a living trolling big names, well, four players from football’s best XI were missed today on pitch. Andreas Iniesta was missed. Cristiano Ronaldo was missed. Zinedine Zidane was missed. Lionel Messi was missed.